Tuesday, 21 March 2023

You are here Temprorary Visas Work Permit Work permits

Work permits

E-mail Print PDF
Canada Work permits

If you wish to work in Canada, you will generally need to secure a work permit. Some categories of workers, such as Clergy, are exempt from the requirement for a work permit. A confirmed job offer from a Canadian organization is a usual prerequisite for a work permit. Exceptionally, you may be eligible for an open work permit.

Your Canadian employer will often need to secure a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) confirming that he may employ a foreign worker to fill the job opening. Certain persons are confirmation exempt, and are entitled to apply for work permits without a labour market opinion. Examples are workers covered under international agreements, workers transferring within a company, participants in exchange programs, co-op students or the spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign workers and foreign students. Religious workers and people doing charitable or religious work are also exempt from the requirement to secure a labour market opinion.

Most people would be required to apply for and secure their work permit prior to entering Canada. However, you may apply within Canada or at your port- of- entry to Canada in certain circumstances. Examples would be if you are exempt from the requirement to secure a temporary resident visa and if your job does not require a labour market opinion. You can also apply if you are temporary resident visa exempt and already hold a labour market opinion.

Wherever you apply, you will have to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family whilst you are in Canada and to secure return transportation to your country. You will also have to satisfy the Canadian visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.

You must undergo a security and criminal background check and produce a police clearance certificate if you are 18 years or older. You may have to complete a medical examination. You and your accompanying spouse or common-law partner may be able to work in Canada while you are here.

A work permit is not an immigration document that will allow you to live in Canada permanently. However, you may have the opportunity to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence status in Canada through any one or more of the immigration programs.