Sunday, 05 December 2021

You are here Temprorary Visas Study Permit Study permits

Study permits

E-mail Print PDF
Study permits

You will generally require a study permit in order to study in Canada.  A few exceptions do apply, and these include family or staff members of accredited foreign representative to Canada, persons studying on a program of studies of six months or less where the program can be completed within this time as well as minor children in Canada whose parents are authorized to work or study. Minor children applying outside Canada will require a study permit.

A study permit is required whenever you wish to study at a university or college or undertake any academic, professional, or vocational training. To be eligible for a study permit, you must have a Letter of Acceptance from a Canadian educational institution and you must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation to your country. You will also have to satisfy the Canadian visa officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

You must undergo a security and criminal background check and produce a police clearance certificate if you are at 18 years of age or older. You may have to complete a medical examination. If you are a minor, your parents or legal guardians will have to demonstrate that they have made adequate arrangements for your care and custodianship.

In most cases, you would be required to apply for and secure your study permit prior to entering Canada. In some circumstances, you can apply within Canada or at your port- of- entry to Canada.  If you apply from outside Canada, the application process can take several weeks, especially if you need to take an immigration medical examination.

You and your accompanying spouse or common-law partner or dependent child may be able to work in Canada while you are here as a student. You may also have the opportunity to work in Canada after completing your program of study.

A study permit is not an immigration document that will allow you to live in Canada permanently. In many cases however, you can make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence status in Canada.